The nickname "Tigers," given to Mizzou's athletic teams, traces its origin to the Civil War period. As rumors spread that "Bloody Bill" Anderson intended to sack Columbia, an armed guard quickly fortified the old courthouse in the center of town. This company named themselves "The Missouri Tigers," and the marauders never came. Word presumably spread, and Anderson's gang detoured around Columbia. The school adopted the nickname "Tiger" not long after Mizzou's first football team began play in 1890.
Norris Stevenson was the first African-American to earn a football scholarship at Mizzou. Stevenson played for the Tigers from 1958-60.
In 2001, Mizzou Athletics dedicated the Norris Stevenson Plaza of Champions on the west side of Memorial Stadium. The Plaza features bricks that honor the achievemtns of former student-athletes, coaches and teams.
The Split T football formation was developed by Hall of Fame coach Don Faurot in 1941.
The Split T spreads the offensive line to create gaps for the offensive to exploit. It created the first option offense, with options to handoff, keep or pitch.
Any visitor in one of Mizzou’s weight rooms will instantly notice all Tiger logos on plates and dumbbells facing up. This idea of “Tiger Up” was implemented in an effort to encourage pride in the University and promote excellence in academics, social situations and athletically.
“Tiger Up” is a mentality that at Mizzou, an athlete will become the best he or she can be.
What is your favorite Mizzou Memory so far in 2015-16?
Sack Hunger Logo